Psychological Evaluations for Greater Houston Area Residents
At Greater Houston Counseling Services, we strive to offer a comprehensive range of therapy services. Because we take a team approach to therapy, that means we have specialists on our staff who can provide numerous therapy services, including psychological evaluations for Greater Houston Area residents. Our specialists offer comprehensive assessments that help you gain the knowledge you need to achieve your goals and live a satisfying life.
What are Psychological Evaluations?
Psychological evaluations utilize comprehensive testing batteries to help clients understand their areas of strength and struggle. They can be used to plan therapy goals, determine the need for other medical interventions, and guide the level of support necessary. First and foremost, psychological evaluations are not the kinds of tests that you pass or fail. Instead, you should think of them as you would medical tests. These types of assessments are used to pinpoint the areas that need care and help you plan to receive necessary treatment, and that’s exactly what psychological evaluations are all about.
Why Would Someone Need a Psychological Evaluation?
The main reason for psychological evaluations is to gain information. Some of the other reasons people seek out psychological evaluations include:
- Referral questions – therapists or medical doctors may refer their clients to us in order to answer a specific question about the client’s care needs.
- Clarity – even if you feel pretty certain you understand what you’re experiencing, psychological evaluations can clarify complex symptoms and diagnoses to help direct care.
- Understanding personality – assessments can reveal your coping strategies, communication skills, and attachment styles that can impact the way you interact with others and what types of therapy will be effective.
- Finding the right therapy approach – there are many different approaches to therapy, and some work better for people than others. Evaluations can help you and your therapist determine what approach to take.
- Finding the right therapist – if you aren’t currently working with a therapist, psychological assessments can help you find the right one to meet your needs.
What Happens During Psychological Evaluation?
Psychological evaluations at Greater Houston Counseling Services are comprehensive and customized to meet your needs. In most cases, we’ll begin with a thorough interview. This sounds intimidating, but it’s really just an in-depth discussion. During this conversation, you’ll discuss the reasons you scheduled an assessment, your history with therapy and medical health, and general information about you and your goals. You may also be asked to complete a questionnaire in advance of this appointment to help guide the discussion, and you will often be asked to complete one or more specialized questionnaires or tests while you’re in the practice. Once we have the necessary information, your psychologist will complete a thorough report providing answers to any referral questions, outlining therapeutic service recommendations, and sharing information to help clients achieve their goals. In most cases, you’ll visit us to review the report with the assessment psychologist, so you can ask any questions and discuss next steps.
Ready to Get Started?
When you’re ready to get started working with the Greater Houston Counseling Services team, we do our utmost to make booking an appointment simple and easy. You can request an appointment anytime with our online scheduling form or by calling our team to set up an appointment in one of our three office locations.